Happy Holidays & welcome to Amy Jarecki’s page in the Historical Romance Cookie Exchange Hop!
Christmas in Medieval Times
The Christmas season was a highlight of the medieval calendar, not only for the wealthy but also for poor crofters and those who toiled below stairs. It was the longest holiday of the year, spanning all twelve days. People stopped work, decorated their homes, and placed a Yule log burning in the hearth. Gifts were exchanged, with servants receiving gift boxes (thus Boxing Day). And feasts abounded, eaten by all where there was higher quality food and more of it than at any other time in the year. At Christmastide during the middle ages you would expect to take part in singing, dancing, pantomimes and games looked forward to by young and old alike.
Forgotten Cookie Recipe
This delicious and easy recipe was handed down through generations of the maternal side of my family!
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 6 oz package of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Directions: Beat egg whites and and salt until very stiff. Gradually add sugar and vanilla. Beat until stiff. Fold in chocolate chips. Drop on greased cookie sheet. Put in preheated oven, then turn the oven off. Leave cookies in the over overnight. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR UNTIL MORNING. Makes 2 dozen cookies.
Sugar Free Option:
I have Type II Diabetes and control it with a strict ketogenic diet. It has been so successful for me, I actually have been able to go off my meds and my blood sugar is more stable than when I was on them. Because of my diet, I tested Forgotten Cookies with Swerve sweetener:
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup Swerve (or Erythritol or Monkfruit or Stevia…also, I think I could have cut to 1/2 cup of sweetener)
1 tsp vanilla
1 6 oz pkg dark sugar free chocolate chips (Lilys is good, also Bake Believe).
While you’re here, enter my monthly website contest for a chance to win a signed copy of THE DUKE’S FALLEN ANGEL: https://amyjarecki.com/contests
Follow the Historical Romance Cookie Hop:
Thirty historical romance authors are sharing a favorite recipe with you and a fun tidbit about the holiday season. Visit each author site to see what we’ve found while researching our historical books and choose some new cookie recipes to try. Hop to all the sites for a chance to win a $150 gift card to the online store of your choice! Here are the simple directions to join the fun:
- Hop to each link (posted on 12/4), which will take you to a historical author’s FB page, web site, or blog. While you’re there please like, follow, or sign up for a newsletter if you wish to stay up to date on our new releases and author happenings.
- Learn a fun historical fact and discover a new cookie recipe on each site.
- Collect all the names of the cookies, paired with the names of the authors, and e-mail the total list to Heather@HeatherMcCollum.com. Make sure to put Historical Romance Authors Are Sweet in the subject line. The list must be turned in by 11:59 PM ET on December 12th.
- One grand prize winner, of a $150 gift card, will be selected randomly from those who collected and turned in the name of all the treats by the deadline. The winner must respond within 24 hours to claim the prize, and we will announce the winner hopefully by noon ET on December 13th. So authors will have their own giveaways and will post their own winners on their sites.
Continue along the Cookie Trail and collect these fabulous recipes go to the EVENT PAGE or hop directly below:
- Alanna Lucas http://www.alannalucas.com/
- Amalie Howard https://amaliehoward.com/
- Amy Rose Bennett https://amyrosebennett.com/historical-romance-cookie-hop
- Christina Britton http://christinabritton.com/
- Deb Marlowe DebMarlowe.com
- Diana Lloyd DianaLloydBooks.com
- Elizabeth Watson https://eelizabethwatson.com/happy-holidays/
- Elizabeth Langston https://elizabethlangston.net/holiday-hop/
- Elizabeth Keysian https://elizabethkeysian.com/2020/12/04/historical-romance-cookie-hop-prize-draw/
- Eliza Knight eknightauthor.com
- Heather McCollum https://www.heathermccollum.com/historical-romance-holiday-cookie-hop-2020/
- Jacki Delecki https://www.facebook.com/JDelecki
- Jane Charles https://www.janecharlesauthor.com/christmas-fun
- Janna MacGregor jannamacgregor.com
- Jennifer Siddoway jennifersiddoway.com
- Jerrica Knight-Catania jerricasplace.com
- Jessica Clements https://jessicaanneclements/holiday-hops
- Kate Parker KateParkerbooks.com/holiday-cookie
- Kathleen Bittner Roth https://www.facebook.com/Kathleen.bittnerroth.author
- Liana De la Rosa lianainbloom.com
- Lori Ann Bailey https://loriannbailey.com/rugelach/
- Madeline Martin http://www.madelinemartin.com/2020/12/wwii-carrot-biscuits/
- Nadine Millard https://www.facebook.com/nadinemillardauthor
- Patricia Kiyono http://www.patriciakiyono.com/post/historical-romance-cookie-hop
- Renee Ann Miller https://reneeannmiller.com/category/blog/
- Samantha Grace https://www.samanthagraceauthor.com/holiday-cookie-hop
- Tara Kingston https://www.facebook.com/TaraKingstonAuthor/
- Tina Gabrielle https://www.facebook.com/TinaGabrielle
- Tracey Devlyn https://traceydevlyn.com/events/63/historical-romance-holiday-cookie-hop
What’s New With Me?
I am super exited about the upcoming January 5th release of THE DUKE’S PRIVATEER! And OMG, the narration on this one is phenomenal! To celebrate the release, I will be giving away some super cool prizes on Facebook Group’s Fiction Feature Friday January 8th I’d love to have you join the fun! Join my FB group & meet an author every Friday https://www.facebook.com/groups/246831395899469/
When it comes to women, the Duke of Danby is an audacious rake, but when it comes to ridding the kingdom of smugglers, he’s leading the charge. The Prince Regent has bankrupted the country more than once, and Danby isn’t about to go down with a sinking ship.
The Honorable Eleanor Kent hides behind the image of a self-proclaimed spinster, though in truth she’s one of England’s most sought-after privateers.
When their paths cross at a royal dinner, Danby suspects the stunning redheaded woman is more than she seems. He engages her to consult on a chinoiserie remodel and Eleanor gladly accepts. Indeed, she’d rather keep her enemy close where she can watch his every move. Though neither duke nor lady has a clue of how tangled the web they’re spinning will become. As the heat ratchets up, so does their unbidden attraction. Will they get burned before it’s too late to run?
Pre-Order your copy at your favorite online retailer: https://books2read.com/u/49lokp